Google Image Swirl… Toy and Tool!

Google Image SwirlGoogle Image Swirl: a Fun Toy!

I think to be able to keep up with all the cool gadgets and programs that have become available out there, you really need to stop working or decide not to sleep!!

Recently, I came across this tool; Google Image Swirl- a really neat tool that can be used in so many different ways for classroom use. This tool can be used by teachers to spark interest for an upcoming topic or by students perhaps has part of an assessment tool or a research project.

I created a very fast one to try it out and see how easy it was to utilize….and it was super easy!! I’m excited to use this in my classroom for this coming school year! (One of the ideas that I will use it for is to introduce students to the places that I have visited around the world… as part as my “getting to know you” activities for the first week. I think I may even ask students to create one for themselves and share it with the class!)

Super simple use… You can either choose from the images that they have provide or type in a subject of your own. I typed in french bulldogs because although some people think unkindly of them because of their looks; I think they are OH- So cute and lovable!

My Google Image Swirl creation… a masterpiece… (not quite so…)

http://image-swirl.googlelabs.com/html?query=bulldog%20francais#91

MORE IDEAS FOR THE CLASSROOM/ How can this be used in a classroom?

I could see this tool as being an engaging opening for a lesson on Social Studies, History, or Science. Teachers could model how to use Google Image Swirl and then children can work in groups or pairs and create projects. Students then write a sentence or paragraph (depending on their ability) to describe what their “swirl” represents. This tool is also seems like it would work wonders for your visual learners. Keep it in your teacher “toolbox” and pull it out every now and then to use!!

****If you have used this tool in your classroom or have other ideas on how it could be used… Please leave us a comment! We all learn by sharing with each other!

Here is the link to the site..

http://image-swirl.googlelabs.com/

One thought on “Google Image Swirl… Toy and Tool!